How to Install a Pedestrian-Bicyclist Bridge: Tierwester
How to install a Pedestrian-Bicyclist Bridge: Tierwester
The TxDOT contractors are working diligently to install the new pedestrian-bicyclist bridges along Brays Bayou. Three of the four bridges are prefabricated - assembled elsewhere and then shipped to Houston. If you’ve not seen this in person, here are some pictures to who you what is involved in the installation of a pedestrian-bicyclist bridge.
1. While the bridge is being made manufactured elsewhere, piers are constructed to mount the bridge upon.
2. A very large crane is required to raise each segment of the bridge and bring it across the bayou.
3. See how the first segment fits atop the pier and against the bank of the bayou? There is room on the pier to add the next segment of the bridge.
4. As another segment of the bridge is lifted by the crane, yet another portion of the structure is being delivered and readied for installation.
5. The installation of a pedestrian-bicyclist bridge is no small affair.
6. Two pieces are assembled to create the center span of the bridge structure. The large crane is put to work hoisted the structure atop the concrete piers.
7. And now you can see how the various pieces of the structure are delivered, assembled and installed, but the work is far from over.
8. The construction team will work on the approaches to the structure before then pour the concrete deck atop the bridge.