The sign below marks a designated bicycle route. A bicycle route is a shared lane by motor vehicles and bicycles. Obey all traffic rules and provide hand signals. Motorists should remain alert and watch for bicyclists. This sign marks an upcoming bicycle route ahead.
|These arrows above and below mark route direction. They can signal a change in direction or an upcoming bicycle route ahead.|
|This sign marks that a designated bicycle lane lies ahead. A designated bicycle lane is a striped, signed and pavement marked lane for bicycle use only. For safety reasons, this is a no-parking lane.|
This sign marks that the right lane is a designated lane for bicycles only. A designated bicycle lane is a striped, signed and pavement marked lane for bicycle use only. For safety reasons, this is a no-parking lane.
An interdepartmental agreement authorizes the maintenance of the following: off-road hike and bike trails, rails-to-trails, on-street bike lanes and on-street bike routes. The list below shows the responsibilities understood by City departments, Reliant Energy/HL&P, and advocates of the Houston Bicycle Advisory Committee. This agreement covers Houston Bikeway Program projects, and does not include existing trails previously constructed by other government entities.
Houston Police Department
- Security and patrol of off-road hike and bike trails and on-street facilities (signed routes and striped bike lanes).
- Number to report problems: 713.222.3131.
Public Works & Engineering Department
General maintenance of all on-street bikeway facilities:
- Maintenance of on-street bikeways
- Bike lane re-striping
- Replacement/repair of bikeway signage
- On-Street litter abatement (Program development)
- Curb-side tree and shrubbery trimming
- Centerpoint Energy electricity costs for street lights along on-street bikeways (striped bike lanes and bike routes)
Off-road maintenance exceptions:
- Maintenance & replacement of damaged lights on bike trail under-crossings
- Repair of off-road bicycle-pedestrian bridges
- Number to report problems: 713.837.0600
Parks and Recreation Department
General maintenance of all off-road trails and bicycle-pedestrian bridges along bayous and in parks
- Removal of silt from under-crossings and bicycle-pedestrian bridges on off-road trails
- Graffiti and litter abatement
- Trail repair (patching of asphalt and concrete)
- Tree and shrubbery trimming
Centerpoint Enrgy electricity costs for lights on off-road trails (along bayous and in parks), including bicycle-pedestrian bridges, (not to include under-crossings)
- Maintenance and replacement of bikeway signage
- Number to report problems: 713.645.4357
Houston Lighting & Power
Routine maintenance of bikeway lighting:
- Maintenance & replacement of lights on off-road trails along bayous and in parks, does not to include trail under-crossings, Buffalo Bayou Trail (north side) from Smith to Main Street
- Maintenance & replacement of street lights along on-street bikeways (striped bike lanes and bike routes)
- Number to report problems: 713.207.7777
Local Bicycle/Pedestrian Advocate Groups
Adopt-A-Trail Programs that include organizing civic participation in bikeway clean-up days.
- Houston Bicycle Advisory Committee (281.830.2687)